Nov 22, 2017 - 08:54 AM
There are 75 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.
You can log-in or register for a user account here.
Regular advice on running and RunCoach
Topic: ResearchThe new items published under this topic are as follows.
Posted by: pshields on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:07 AM 1473 Reads
A study of cardio-pulmonary efficiency in different categories of runners.
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2000 Apr;44(2):220-4.
Dasgupta PK, Mukhopadhyay AK, De AK.
Department of Physiology, Bankura Sammilani Medical College.
Selected short distance runners, middle distance runners and long distance runners were subjected to graded exercise on a treadmill. The maximum aerobic power (VO2 max) and other indices related to oxygen transport system viz. heart rate, ventilation volume, breathing reserve, dyspnoeic index, O2 pulse and RQ were recorded at respective VO2 max work loads, and the values were compared.
Note: Long distance runners seem to have higher VO2max, lower resting pulse and a higher maximum pulse than other runners:- Paul
Posted by: pshields on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:04 AM 1450 Reads
Does psychological stress improve physical performance?
Tohoku J Exp Med. 1999 Feb;187(2):111-20.
Takemura Y, Kikuchi S, Inaba Y.
Department of Epidemiology and Environmental Health, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan.
The purpose of this study is to determine whether psychological stress enhances physical performance and how personality traits affect it.
Note: It seems that stress can improve performance for some:- Paul
Posted by: pshields on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:02 AM 2516 Reads
Popular sports supplements and ergogenic Aids.
Sports Med. 2003;33(12):921-39.
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA.
This article reviews the evidence-based ergogenic potential and adverse effects of 14 of the most common products in use by recreational and elite athletes today. Both legal and prohibited products are discussed. This is an aggressively marketed and controversial area of sports medicine worldwide. It is therefore prudent for the clinician to be well versed in the more popular supplements and drugs reputed to be ergogenic in order to distinguish fact from fiction.
Read full article: 'Popular sports supplements and ergogenic Aids' (1294 bytes more)
Posted by: pshields on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:50 AM 1694 Reads
Fluid Replacement during Marathon Running.
Clin J Sport Med. 2003 Sep;13(5):309-18.
SUMMARY: During endurance exercise, about 75% of the energy produced from metabolism is in the form of heat, which cannot accumulate. The remaining 25% of energy available can be used for movement. As running pace increases, the rate of heat production increases. Also, the larger one's body mass, the greater the heat production at a particular pace.
Read full article: 'Fluid Replacement during Marathon Running' (1517 bytes more)
Posted by: pshields on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 04:01 AM 1482 Reads
Preventing running injuries. Practical approach for family doctors.
Can Fam Physician. 2003 Sep;49:1101-9.
Johnston CA, Taunton JE, Lloyd-Smith DR, McKenzie DC.
OBJECTIVE: To present a practical approach for preventing running injuries.
QUALITY OF EVIDENCE: Much of the research on running injuries is in the form of expert opinion and comparison trials. Recent systematic reviews have summarized research in orthotics, stretching before running, and interventions to prevent soft tissue injuries.
Posted by: pshields on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 08:30 AM 2717 Reads
Kenyan dominance in distance running.
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2003 Sep;136(1):161-70. Links
The Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Rigshospitalet, Section 7652, Blegdamsvej 9, DK-2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Critical physiological factors for performance in running are maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max), fractional VO2max utilization and running economy. While Kenyan and Caucasian elite runners are able to reach very high, but similar maximal oxygen uptake levels, the VO2max of black South African elite runners seems to be slightly lower. Moreover, the studies of black and white South African runners indicate that the former are able to sustain the highest fraction of VO2max during long distance running.
Read full article: 'Kenyan dominance in distance running' (1906 bytes more)
Posted by: pshields on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:18 AM 1562 Reads
Effect of creatine supplementation on body composition and performance: a meta-analysis.
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.
|Running Training Plans | Running Coaching|